Our first duty is to act in the best long-term interests of our investors. In this fiduciary role, we believe that operating in accordance with principles of sustainability - sound environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and good corporate governance – can positively affect the performance of investment portfolios.
As a company that participates in the development, ownership and management of places that people live and work, we are always aware of the part we play in society and the responsibilities we have to our stakeholders – those of the present and of generations to come. Integrating these principles into our decision-making and operations is a reflection of our core values and better aligns our investors with the broader objectives of society. Where consistent with our fiduciary responsibilities, we commit to the following:
- To incorporate sustainable principles into our investment and development decisions.
- To incorporate sustainable principles into the way we manage and operate our properties.
- Reducing energy use and environmental impacts
- Reducing utility costs and improving quality of life for our residents
- To incorporate sustainable criteria into the selection of entities that we invest in and partner with.
- To report on our activities and progress we make towards integrating sustainability into our operations.
Energy & Environment
Westplan’s energy and environmental policy is natural extension of its mission to provide superior and lasting value for its investors, partners and residents. Our unwavering goal is to continuously improve the environmental and energy performance of the properties in our portfolio. We are doing this through incorporating green building into our new development projects and establishing a program of monitoring and best management practices for our current portfolio. We focus our efforts in these areas:
- Reducing energy use and emissions
- Reducing water consumption
- Reducing resource consumption and waste and
- Improving indoor air quality
- Westplan believes that a healthy environment is critical to a long-term, healthy economy and that businesses have a responsibility to utilize finite natural resources efficiently and to disturb natural systems as little as possible. We are committed, at minimum, to complying with all applicable environmental laws. We support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges and take steps to prevent, manage and reduce our environmental impact within our sphere of influence whenever possible.